When is It Time for a Tooth Extraction?
Our goal as your Toronto, ON dentist, is to help you achieve and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile. Sometimes this means removing a tooth to protect the health of other surrounding teeth. We want you to know that we will do everything we can to ensure your comfort if you find yourself needing a tooth extraction. This includes offering options for sedation dentistry that can help you relax and feel more at ease during your procedure.
Here are some common reasons your tooth might need to be extracted and what you can expect.
Why do I need an Extraction?
Some situations requiring a tooth extraction are:
- Wisdom teeth: There are several reasons to remove your third molars: lack of space in your mouth to accommodate them, the teeth are impacted or stuck beneath the gum line, or they've come in at an odd angle that is affecting neighboring teeth.
- Orthodontics: Patients who have severe crowding may benefit from tooth extractions for orthodontic treatment.
- Periodontal disease: A tooth that has been damaged due to periodontal disease and infection may need to be removed.
- Severe tooth decay: When decay damages the nerve and pulp of your tooth, it may no longer be salvageable.
- A deep crack or fracture: If your tooth sustains a crack or fracture that is infected or beyond repair, an extraction is the best option.
The Extraction Process
For most patients, getting their tooth removed is actually not as bad as they expected. Our dentists use the best anesthetics during your procedure to ensure that you don't feel anything, and options for dental sedation are available for more complicated procedures.
Your team at Toronto Lakeshore Dental is here to support throughout your recovery process, and you can always contact us with any questions or concerns you have while your mouth is healing.
If you need an extraction in Toronto, ON, don't hesitate to call Toronto Lakeshore Dental to schedule your appointment.